Eating small portions and more frequently can alleviate the symptoms of ADHD hyper attention disorder. Smaller and frequent meals can keep the blood sugar levels steady over the day. In addition, ADHD medications tend to curb a person’s appetite, and they tend to skip meals. So, eating regular and healthy snacks can keep a person with ADHD full throughout the day. Additionally, small portions of healthy snacks can help with attention, memory, and filtering distractions. Here are a few healthy snack ideas for adults with ADHD.
- Smoothies: Fruit-based smoothies not only taste delicious but are also quite filling. They win when it comes to both taste and nutrition. Organic, non-dairy smoothies are the best healthy snacking options for adults with ADHD hyper attention disorder. Also, the addition of fruits like berries makes the smoothies rich in antioxidants and vitamins. These nutrients increase dopamine levels in the brain.
- Eggs: Eggs are the most versatile food and are enriched with essential nutrients. Hard-boiled eggs are the easiest and quickest snacking options. Make them the sunny side up style, poach them, scramble them, or cook an omelet or fancy frittatas, eggs will always taste good. This protein-rich snack option can help improve concentration and make ADHD medications work more effectively.
- Nuts: Nuts like walnuts and Brazil nuts are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for the brain and help to ease the symptoms of ADHD hyper attention disorder. One can pack a few nuts in a box and pop them on the way to work or between work. The nuts will not only keep hunger pangs at bay but will also help in improving concentration.
- Crackers and pretzels: The more healthy options to potato chips are the crunchy and flavorful crackers and pretzels. Organic baked crackers and pretzels can be had on the go, and they fill up the stomach and are completely hassle-free. One can just open up a packet of crackers or pretzels and have them whenever hunger pangs strike. Crackers and pretzels made from whole grains are most preferable for adults with ADHD. Ensure that they are low on sugar, food dyes, and preservatives, as these can trigger ADHD hyper attention disorder symptoms.
- Power bars: Energy bars, especially those made from fruits, are great snacking options for adults with ADHD. They taste sweet and savory, which is very flavorful for those with low appetite. Also, an energy bar can keep an adult active for nearly two hours as it is enriched with proteins and healthy fats. Power or energy bars without hydrogenated oils, food coloring, and preservatives are preferable. Also, bars with flavors like chunky peanut butter, chocolate, and brownie crunch are quite delicious and filling.